Sunday, May 8, 2011

Guided Reading

I have been using the Fountas and Pinnell Reading and Writing Workshop Model for about 9 years.  I love this way of teaching reading and writing.  I attended Teacher's College at Columbia for my Masters and attended 2 summer sessions at Lucy Calkin's Writing Workshop Project.  You should absolutely go to Teacher's College Reading and Writing Project, if you ever get the opportunity!  It was the best! The speakers were amazing and I learned so much.  I am planning on uploading and sharing all of my reading and writing units of study, as well as templates to assist your teaching in those areas.  So please bear with my "work in progress."

Here is a "Status of the Class" template that I use to make sure I meet with every student. I mostly use this sheet during my guided reading time.  But it could be used when meeting with students 1:1 or even whole group.  I used to keep notes on each child in a tabbed section in a binder.  It wasn't until I evaluated these notes at the end of the semester that I realized I wasn't conferencing with each student equally.  So I created the new template below.  It has all the students on one page so I can see who I have already met with and who I still need to conference with.  I keep this on a clipboard and store it next to my guided reading table.  I also have similar template on a different clipboard for Writing Workshop: Status of the Class.


Separator

1 comment: